Thursday, June 17, 2010

Finals Baby!!!


We toured down to sunny Osoyoos last weekend for the annual "Cactus Jalopies" car show and cruise with a little bit of racing on Sunday. This is my fourth year going to this show and it never disappoints. The numbers seemed a bit down from previous years but it just seemed to mean a more concentrated group of like minded gearheads and less gold chainers.
Sunday racing found us at the airstrip with about 2 1/2 hours sleep from partying the night before but in true WOS fashion, adrenaline always trumps hangover. This is my first time at the wheel this season so it took a couple of passes to remember what I was doing. Eliminations came and I cut my best light of the day and almost nailed my dial in. Unfortunately the timing tower forgot that we were running eliminations so they called for a re-match. We were pissed but they gave us a Bi. I continued to mash through the competition, going five rounds in the blazing heat and poor old Demonaco was boiling over at 235*, yikes. We got to the line for the final and the timing lights died from a dead battery, is this really happening? Having to shut the car off at that temperature, I knew that it probably wouldn't start again. We cranked and prayed a bit and she finally choked to life. Unfortunately I spun the tires at the light handing the win to a nice young kid who ran a 7.77 on a 7.74 dial. Hard to argue with that. Great day of racing and we were stoked that our new sponsors Jamie and Jillian of Unity boardshop could stop by with a cube of ice cold Pilsner (for after the race of course).


This afternoon we leave for Bremerton for the highly anticipated match race with Wagons of Steel (South). Stay tuned for more high octane antics and tales of drag wagon hilarity.

No comments: